Grand Avenue by Steve Breen and Mike Thompson
Type: Comic Strip
Available for print / Web / mobile
Grand Avenue, by 1998 & 2009 Pulitzer Prize-winning editorial cartoonist Steve Breen and editorial cartoonist Mike Thompson, a three-time Pulitzer finalist, is a double take on contemporary family life. It stars Gabby and Michael Macfarlane as energetic twins being raised by their grandmother. Grandma Kate is a with-it woman, an avid sports fan who power walks to stay in shape and solves crossword puzzles to stay sharp. It takes every bit of energy she has to keep up with this mischievous pair, and to be a parent for the second time around. Gabby is a savvy, ambitious, pigtailed little girl who follows the news and plans to become a billionaire before she turns 30. Michael is a sensitive, artistic type who enjoys daydreaming, drawing and performing Shakespeare. Together, the twins keep Grandma on her toes and readers laughing out loud.
Meet the Cast of Grand Avenue
- Gabby and Michael Macfarlane These six-year-old fraternal twins are being raised by their grandmother and are best friends, although they are totally different. Gabby is a savvy, ambitious, pigtailed girl who follows the news. She plans to be a billionaire by the time she’s 30. Michael is a sensitive, artistic type who enjoys daydreaming, drawing and performing Shakespeare. Together, the twins keep Grandma on her toes and readers laughing out loud.
- Grandma Kate Macfarlane This grandma doesn’t rock — she rolls. Grandma Kate is an avid sports fan who power walks to stay in shape and solves crossword puzzles to stay sharp. She’s hip, active and needs every bit of energy she has to keep up with parenting the second time around and this mischievous pair. Kate has strong opinions about the way she wants the kids to behave — but the twins do put one over on her once in a while.
- Rudy The most mischievous Macfarlane of all! Rudy is the hyperactive family dog who’s always trying to outsmart his human housemates.
- Mr. Damikolas (Mr. D.) The twins’ teacher loves his job and is passionate about his lesson plans and passing on his love of learning. Mr. D. has a soft spot for the twins, although he takes no guff from his class or the bureaucracy in the public school system. In his free time, he can be found reading comic books and watching "Star Trek."
- P.J. Small, cute and freckled, P.J. is Gabby and Michael’s best friend — besides each other.
- Evil Yorkies This pair of Yorkies is diabolically evil and can always be found on guard by their living room window, scheming to humiliate and annoy all who dare to pass by.
- Ed The Macfarlanes’ good-natured neighbor. The kids love to talk to Ed, and he loves to listen and dispense philosophical advice, usually while gardening.
- Mr. Barnaby The Macfarlanes’ crabby neighbor. Mr. Barnaby loves his lawn more than he loves the neighborhood kids and dogs.