Ronaldinho Gaucho by Mauricio de Sousa
Type: Comic Strip
A comic strip about the world's best soccer player? You bet. In this sweet and positive comic strip, Brazilian comics master Mauricio de Sousa has collaborated with the great Ronaldinho to project in fanciful details the life of Ronaldinho Gaucho as a child, along with his soccer-playing buddies. The lively team of characters includes Ronaldinho's brother, Asis, sister Daisy, No. 1 fan Diego, his mother and two lovable dogs named Champ and Fireball. Follow their adventures on and off the soccer field in this daily and Sunday comic strip.
Mauricio de Sousa
Brazilian cartoonist Mauricio de Sousaâ€™s artistry and business acumen have created a dynamic enterprise today that produces a steady stream of newspaper strips and Sunday pages, comic and activity books, hardcover storybooks, animation, theme parks, website and social campaigns. With more than 150 artists, Mauricio de Sousa Productions (MSP) is the fourth largest art studio in the world.
His publishing business boasts a 75 percent share of the childrenâ€™s market in Brazil. The comics and books featuring Mauricioâ€™s characters have been among the top 11 childrenâ€™s titles in Brazil for many years, reaching 1 billion comics and books published. Mauricioâ€™s work has been translated into as many as 15 languages in 40 countries. The company also manages a large licensing operation with 3,500 licensed products.
Mauricio got his start while working as a journalist in 1959 and publishing his first comic strip in the newspaper Folha de Sao Paulo. A flow of comic characters followed, including Monicaâ€™s Gang, Chuck Billy â€˜nâ€™ Folks, Horacioâ€™s World, Tina & Pals, Lionelâ€™s Kingdom, Bug-a-Booo, the Amazonics, Pele and most recently, Ronaldinho Gaucho.
In May 2006, Mauricio introduced his new comic strip, Ronaldinho Gaucho, based on the football star dubbed the best soccer player on earth in 2004 and 2005. Ronaldinho Gaucho is internationally syndicated by Universal Uclick. Mauricio has already taken Ronaldinho to star status in publishing, licensing, animation, television syndication and social campaigns. Even a movie is in the works.
Mauricioâ€™s awards and recognitions are numerous. His artistic talent has been recognized with the â€œOscarâ€ of the cartoon world, the prestigious Yellow Kid award.
The Brazilian postal service issued four series of stamps featuring the Mauricioâ€™s characters: The United Nations Summit on the Environment; the 150th anniversary of the first Brazilian stamp; Children and Citizenship; and the Olympic Games.
His public service work has earned him both domestic and international recognition. He has received the Brazilian presidential medal of honor for his promotion of human rights and a â€˜Champion of Health in the Americasâ€™ by the United Nations World Health Organizationâ€™s Pan American office. As a trustee of Pacem in Terris Institute, which awards U.S. scholarships to students from countries torn by war, Mauricio received a medal from Pope John Paul II.
Mauricio was born in Santa Izabel, Sao Paulo, Brazil on October 27, 1935. His parents, Antonio Mauricio and Petronilha de Sousa, both broadcasters, poets and composers, provided the background for his talent in art and creativity. In all his work, Mauricio draws on his experience as the father of 10 children and his strong beliefs about the responsibilities of parenting.
Mauricioâ€™s message of joy, which comes from the sensitivity of an artist who trusts in the future and in people beyond all social, ideological or geographical barriers, is intended for the most demanding public in the world: CHILDREN.
Meet the Cast of Ronaldinho Gaucho
- Ronaldinho Ronaldinho is an easy-going, cheerful kid who manages to attract attention and admiration from everyone because of his magic while playing soccer. He likes samba, funk and rap. When Ronaldinho is not playing ball, he is studying, singing or playing videogames with his friends. He reads comic books and pretends he is a superhero, running around with a towel as a cape. He is quick and curious, the way every child should be.
- Asis Ronaldinhoâ€™s big brother is also his idol and best friend. They play football together trading tips, tactics and passes and creating moves to use during the next game against other teams. And united, they always win.
- Daisy She is the middle sister, very close to Ronaldinho Gaucho, always watching over him like a guardian angel. She knows her brother so well that she can tell when he is hiding something or is up to one of his tricks. Daisy is feisty and clever and has an advantage over all the boys in the team: the unbeatable feminine intuition!
- Diego Ronaldinho Gauchoâ€™s Number One Fan. He is always glued to our hero, following him everywhere. He wants to learn all the moves that Ronaldinho makes with the ball and even imitates the way he dresses and celebrates his goals. Diego is five years old and the shortie boy of the team.
- Ms. Miguelina She is a good-humored, affectionate and protective mother â€“ always trying to find a balance between reason and heart. A wise lady, she has solid advice for everyone. She is like all mothers and comes off with flying colors.
- Champ Champ is a short-hair-grayish small mutt, very clever and playful. Champ is Asisâ€™ little pet but is much more attached to Ronaldinho, and thinks he is his real owner; because of this, he never obeys Asisâ€™s commands, what makes him very upset.
- Fireball Fireball is a big dog, a Pyrenees Mastim breed, that belongs to Ronaldinho Gaucho. Fireball is a clumsy but totally lovable dog and has a heart that is proportional to its size: huge! Fireball will do anything to stay close to his owner.